Your marriage or relationship with your significant other is one of the most important resources in your life.
When it does not work
it can be a source of:
When it works
it can be a source of
It's Never Too Late To Save A Relationship. If your relationship is more in the Left Box, you can move it into the Right Box.
Six things you need to know about marriages/relationships:
1) Even though deeply damaged, they can be repaired and even made better than ever.
2) Good and great relationships do not withstand the test of time when they are not properly cared for.
3) Most people do not know the secrets to cultivate and maintain good and great relationships.
4) The current culture we live in is actually not very supportive of marriage and long-term relationships. Many forces work against you, and you may not even know what they are.
5) The best thing you can do for your children has a great marriage.
6) Couples counseling/coaching can be tremendously positive and even transformative for any couple, whether they are on the brink of divorce or just suffering from the initial effects of relationship decay.
Four things you need to know about effective marriage counseling or relationship counseling.
1) Sessions should NOT be spent with you fighting and arguing and the therapist just listening. One of the chief complaints I have heard from many people about previous therapy is that the therapists allowed them to bicker and argue, and they felt worse after every session. Effective therapists do not allow couples to continue to engage in the same destructive forms of communication that they do at home.
2) Effective couples' work usually involves active participation from the therapist and each member of the couple. Couples who succeed in counseling learn to stop simply blaming the other person. Instead, they move toward taking personal responsibility for their part of the problem and making changes to be part of the solution. Effective therapists rapidly identify negative patterns before they gain speed. Couples need to learn how to do that at home.
3) Effective couples work should regularly leave you feeling more uplifted as an individual and closer to each other. Sometimes there definitely are difficult feelings and issues to tackle. But just as good marriage and relationships should be mostly positive the same is true of counseling.
4) Effective counseling is partially an education and coaching process. Research has shown that there are specific communication patterns that simply do not work and specific patterns that do. . You need to learn what works and you need help to practice it.
I offer marriage counseling and relationship counseling in Ardmore, PA that is only minutes from Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Gladwyne, Haverford, Havertown, Narberth, Penn Wynne, Villanova, and Wynnewood